The Driver CPC training is for LGV and PCV drivers who drive professionally throughout the UK and is a legal requirement. It has been developed as a requirement of the EU Directive 2003/59, which is designed to improve the knowledge and skills of professional LGV and PCV drivers throughout their working life. There are two parts to the legislation:
- The Initial Qualification must be achieved by new LGV and PCV drivers along with their vocational licence to enable them to use their licence professionally.
- Periodic Training; 35 hours of training every 5 years must be attended by all professional drivers .
Who will be affected?
An individual’s circumstances will determine how they acquire the Driver CPC training.
New drivers who acquire a PCV vocational entitlement (D1, D1+E, D, D+E licence) after the 10th September 2008 and/or an LGV vocational entitlement (C1, C1+E,C or C+E licence) after the 10th September 2009 will have to obtain the Initial Qualification in addition to their licence to drive professionally.
Existing drivers who held a vocational licence prior to the 10th September 2008 (PCV) or the 10th September 2009 (LGV) are exempt from the Initial Qualification. This is known as “acquired rights”.
All professional drivers (new and existing drivers) must complete a total of 35 hours Periodic Training every 5 years following their “acquired rights” or Initial Qualification to keep their Driver CPC valid. Existing drivers must complete their Periodic Training by September 2013 (PCV) and September 2014 (LGV).
Almost all drivers in the industry must have a Driver CPC qualification by September 10th 2014 (2013 for PCV)
You can use these to benefit your company by incorporating Driver CPC courses as:
- SAFED (Safe and fuel efficient driving)
- First Aid
- Manual Handling
- Tachograph Training (digital)
So, with a little thought and planning, the Driver CPC Courses can be very much to your company’s advantage. The courses we are currently offering are:
- Drivers hours and tachographs/Drivers legal obligations
- Accident procedure and first on the scene/Manual handling
- Safe loading/Know your brakes/vehicle security
- Drivers legal obligations/Daily vehicle checks
- Customer service/Defensive driving
Course cost per 7 hr day is £75 per person including dsa upload fees. all inclusive.
please contact me for details.
Don’t leave it too late!
* We anticipate that there will be a ‘panic bulge’ as thousands of drivers approach the first en masse deadline of September 2019.
* It may be difficult to access courses by then and companies may well need to have several drivers away on courses simultaneously.
* Worse still, drivers may not gain the qualification in time.